Sunday, September 20, 2009

Live Music - Tom Goss @ Delaware Pride

tom goss,delaware pride 2009
Tom Goss with his groupies: Aron Hinson, Fred Shetzer, Michael Briggs, Tom, Josh Mobley, Matthew Ruest & friend [sorry, I don't know and will edit if told] and me. Photo by Aron.

So I drove down to the Delaware Pride Festival, about 65 miles from home in Rehoboth Beach, and parked in a satellite parking and waiting 25 minutes for a bus to pick up me and others waiting to enter the festival. I feared I would miss Tom's show, since the bus didn't turn up until 1:45, the projected start time his set. So I got off the bus, waited in line to pay admission, and went to the music area, and there was a drag queen doing lip sync, and was sure I had missed him. Until I heard my name called and turned to see bearded Tom walking over to give me a hug hello. The activities were running behind, and he was yet to take the stage. So I talked to Tom, said hello to his partner, Mike, and other members of the Tom Goss Groupie squad.

miss mona lotts,delaware pride 2009,tom goss tom goss,delaware pride 2009
Miss Mona Lotts, left, and Tom Goss, right.

The Mistress of Ceremonies was Miss Mona Lotts, a local celebrity who did a fantastic job. She called Tom to the stage, and once they sorted out equipment issues, and Tom started playing. He played many of my favorites, including Till The End, Rise, Come Around, Back To Arkansas, Forty Years, and others. Tom was in fine voice, and his interaction with the crowd fun. There must have been several fans there, for several of the songs were greeted with applause.

tom goss,delaware pride 2009 tom goss,delaware pride 2009
tom goss,delaware pride 2009 tom goss,delaware pride 2009
tom goss,delaware pride 2009

After the show, I hung around a bit, bought a new t-shirt, and chatted with Tom and company. There was Mike, Aron [the director of Tom's videos for Rise and Till The End], as well as from friends and fans from Washington, DC. Tom was nice enough to let me pull him away to get a couple of pictures on the beach, as well as getting a shot with Tom, Mike and myself.

tom goss,delaware pride 2009 tom goss,delaware pride 2009
tom goss,delaware pride 2009
Tom, Mike and Me.

Two fun happenings of the day is when Tom enlisted the assistance of Miss Mona Lotts as well as the crowd to sing a cover of the Ting Tings song, That's Not My Name. Miss Mona stepped up to the microphone and eagerly led the crowd. And after all was said and done, Tom and Aron playing frisbee in the dunes of the beach.

tom goss,delaware pride 2009,miss mona lotts tom goss,aron hinson,delaware pride 2009
Tom & Miss Mona sing, and Aron plays frisbee.

So it was a lovely time with great music, beautiful weather and good friends.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Howard! Love the blog entry! For me, being a Tom Goss groupie is becoming a lot like a Warhol factory groupie-only without the drugs. (Aron's random daydreams: If they only had blogs in the 60s...) Anyways, everyone just has a good time around Tom and always makes new friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks fun and I'm glad he was a nice guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aron, thanks for your kind words. We groupies gotta stick together!

    Wonder Man, Tom is an exceptionally nice guy - so is his partner, Mike. Just great people.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails