Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Worth Another Listen - The Origin



I loved these boys. The self-titled first album was released in 1990, and I bought it immediately. The first song I heard was Growing Old, a jingly, uptempo song. The Origin was at their best when plying with rhythms, giving a very American twist on the World Music scene. They put out a second and final CD in 1992, Bend. The disbanded the group shortly after the release. I have both in my collection and on my iPod.



The San Diego based band were made up by Michael Andrews, Topper Rimel Daniel Silverman and Rony Abada. Andrews later went on to compose for several movie soundtracks, including for Donnie Darko. It was he who arranged and played the piano on the haunting version of the Tears For Fears song Mad World by Gary Jules.



I couldn't find any pictures on the 'net of the boys, so the best I could do was scan in the covers of the two CDs. Nor could I find a website to offer a link, but it was not to be. Here is a link to Michael Andrews official website, although there is nary a mention of the band. The following video is Growing Old, the song that started it all for me.


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. Love this band so much, November Days still kills me

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails